03/12/2009

Narrative - Birds


This is a short narrative based on the short story The Birds by Daphne Du Maurier. The brief stated that we weren't to simply re-tell the story itself with our images. I wanted to show people some time after the initial bird attacks trying to survive in a city.
I figured that people would turn to scavenging during the quiet periods between attacks. I tried to show what people would have worn for protection, but as usual I think my character design is a little lacking. I wanted to show how, even in dire situations, people will always fight each other. It's a bit of a depressing message I guess.
These were all created using a drawing pen on postcards. I decided to use hatching for shading, but I think that using grey inks would have been more successful. All in all, I'm fairly happy with the work, given that it was only a week-long brief. I think that panels 1, 2 and 6 are the most successful, the ones that have a wider view.

No comments:

Post a Comment